Monday 31 October 2016

Encouragement ans Spiritual Attack

Brothers and Sisters, 

As you know we face challenging times. It's good to remember Peter, when walking on water, all the time his eyes were fixed on Jesus he was able to do what he couldn't possibly do otherwise, no matter how the tempest around him raged he defied all odds, all the rules of physics and nature and did what was not possible for him to do - he walked on water! But the moment he took his eyes off Jesus and focussed on the waves, crashing in around him on all sides, he began to sink, fear, hopelessness, and despair, the impossibility of the situation overtook him. 

God gave us all great encouragement on Sunday, I hope you all took it and took it to heart where it belongs. 

We have an Enemy

However, we are wise to remember, we have a cruel and wicked enemy who is relentlessly and zealously opposed to us. He wants to rob us all of any strength God supplied and supplies. What's more, he has allies, as I found out. 

About an hour after the service I got a very long, text, telling me how I am failing, comparing me to Eric and Giles (whom I love and appreciate) essentially questioning my fitness to be a Pastor etc. On it went. 

It is not often I am so personally attacked, and the reason I share it is because I fear that perhaps you may also be subject to Satan's attack. 


Three things to Remember when under Attack

As I read the text, All the encouragement disaappeared - I realised I was in a spiritual battle. Three thoughts prevailed. (1) the temptation to defend my 'self' under attack would prevent me from seeing any truth in their tirade. (2) Even if they are wrong, I am in fact far worse and less deserving for countless other reasons that they know nothing about - nor would they be concerned about - but God is, so only in my pride would I take offence. (3) Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, this person is not my enemy, but is both a victim and instrument of the enemy.  They are eaperiencing anger, anguish, confusion and turmoil. Their attack should provoke compassion - that is what it means to love our enemies.

Satan's other Ally

Sadly, Satan not only has allies in broken-hearted, misdirected hurting pawns like my poor critic, but also within. And that, or more precisely 'I' am by far my biggest problem, not my attacker, but my natural defender, my natural justifier - ME! My own pride and sinfulness vies for prominence and victory over my critic. I want to prove myself right, righteous - and my oppnent wrong - unjustified.

A False Choice

It so often seems that we must either "overcome" by our self-righteousness or give in and be defeated and crushed by discouragement, doubt and failure. Either they / he / she is right and I am wrong, or they / he / she is wrong and I am right! Right? Wrong! Things are rarely black and white.

To justify myself and accuse my critic, pointing out how wrong he is, how he has no room to talk and to  judge him (self righteously) would be very easy, that comes naturally. To take criticism to heart and feel a defeated failure comes easily. But you cannot fight fire with fire. Either would have consumed me even as it consumed my critic. To stand against a spiritual attack is demanding - it does require time and energy, discipline and faith.

A time for everything under the sun

So my first battle was to commit it to the Lord to weigh up later, 'now' was not the time to deal with it - I had my family around me - a source of love and strength to encourage me and me them. Instead, I rested in the knowledge that, if I have done wrong, the Lord will show me my sin, and I have a solution, the gospel, which alone justifies the faith-filled repentant. So I concentrated instead on enjoying my family around me during the afternoon and evening, I'd deal with it before the Lord tomorrow (Monday).

Satan is an intruder - and we must not let him have his terms. Yes it needed dealing with, but for now, God has given me my family to enjoy, and by faith, that is what I did.

Standing Firm

Then later I went to bed with the criticism at the back of my mind. George and I read together and then it was time to sleep. 

It was then again the battle began. My tired mind drifted to the accusations, I kept reminding myself, "now is not the time to deal with this but to sleep". In the end I put my earphones in my ears and launched Bible gateway, listening to Revelation being read. It was some time after chapter 10 I drifted off (note to self, Don't listen to revelation to help you sleep!). 

But it was better to go to sleep fighting, persevering, than defeated, that is God's grace. I woke up, as if 'from the battle and to the battle', and began to read again. Even as I read and focus on Jesus, I had to drag my mind to focus on what I was reading and not allow my 'self' to drag me back to the criticism and all manner of connected but undisciplined trains of thought - and that was a battle! If I allowed that to happen, I would again be robbed of whatever strength, encouragement, and blessing the Lord had for me - and He knows I need it.

A Thankful Heart

After saying my goodbyes to Georgie and Gemma, I set off on my walk to the Moulsecoomb station to get the train to East Anglia for the FIEC Leader's conference. As I walked and prayed the battle continued again. But now I found it somewhat easier to count my blessings. I thanked God for all the blessings of having John and Tessa stay with us, how they loved and encouraged us. I thanked God for His presence during the worship and especially the clear gospel message so richly preached by John. The Lord decked us with glorious gospel jewels! I thanked God for how you all served us as you worked together, cooking, serving tea and coffee, washing up, sweeping floors, putting out tables, watching children, talking to visitors etc. I thanked God that he blessed me with family and despite his efforts, Satan never robbed me of that joy. I thanked God that on top of all that I was off to a conference where God wants to strengthen and encourage me so that I can serve you better - which I really want to do. I thanked God that despite a few issues that cropped up in the morning, I left my wife and daughter in peace. 

As I thanked God for all His blessings, God established His peace and joy again in my heart.

How easily all the blessings mentioned above (and more besides) - could have been robbed by the thief! He tried to snatch them out of my hands but I held on! He may well be doing the same to you.

Have I got what it takes to overcome? No and Yes! 

It is only as we stand our ground, resisting the devil that we find out how strong is the devil and our own natural rebelliousness. When we give in to negativity, defeat, dounbt, lies etc -  we don't know how hard it is to overcome. Just as when you try to undo the lid of a jam jar; you put all your strength into it - finally, it pops off! But the person who had a quick, half-hearted try and gave up will never know how tight it was - how hard it was - but you do because you did it. But in reality, you did not use all your strength because you did it. Were it a little harder, you might still have done it. Of course we all have our limit, but when it comes to spiritual battle, we will never reach a limit because, at some point, God's strength kicks in! 

"When we reach the end 
of our hoarded resources 
the Father's full love's just begun!"

Where we end and He begins we cannot know. I suspect our strength ends and His begins much sooner than we imagine. But the flip side is, when we don't give in, we  realise how God's grace really is always sufficient for us to be overcomers, which is what we are saved to be! Saints! Set apart - different, persevering in the strength God gives. 

Are you under attack?

So perhaps you too have been under attack. Yesterday God was at work to bless, encourage, strengthen and empower you because of His special love for you!  Not because you (or I) are big shots, but (as John reminded us) because of His covenant with His Son, our Jesus! 

If you have been under attack it will most likely be in the realm of your thoughts that is where the battle is, 

"We demolish every argument and pretension
that sets itself up against the (true)
knowledge of God". 

Have you been under spiritual attack? Perhaps it was an outright, obvious attack like mine? Usually it is more subtle, Satan the father of lies whispering in your ear, "none of this makes a difference", "Look at that hypocrite", "They're only serving because ..." , "they never normally come, they'll not be here next week", "It's all fake"

Identifying the enemy

Sometimes it is hard to tell If the criticism arises from the enemy within (a critical kind of spirit) or from demons whispering subtle lies in our ears. I'm no expert, but I think if we find these thoughts 'getting into our minds' against our will, (That is, we know they are wrong and try to resist them - but they keep coming), I suspect that to be a demonic spiritual attack. Satan and his demons don't want you to enjoy God's abundant grace in the midst of battle but God deos ... 

Psalm 23
In the midst of my enemies
You prepare a table for me
My cup overflows

They don't want your eyes to be on Jesus and His truths, the ones that really matter, that edify both you and others. 

However, if you find yourself defending negative, critical thoughts, eg, saying to yourself, "but it is true, all those criticisms are valid because they are true facts!", I suspect it arises from your own critical spirit (even if it is true). Either way, it is going to strangle the spiritual life out of you. Some truths are not edifying or helpful to you or anyone else. Remember - we are not justified by a particular truth - we are justified by Jesus death on the cross. So even if something is true - it does not justify a critical spirit. We must recognise it, confess it to the Lord and repent, trusting His full forgiveness - walking in it - and He will help us overcome.

Satan knows we are weak and vulnerable. He will attack each of us in whatever way he can. He will attack you - especially if you have influence. But God's grace is greater - and he wants to help us all overcome, and as Luther put it ... 

For us fights the proper man
whom God Himself hath bidden
Ask me "who is this same?"
Christ Jesus is His name!
Him and no other one
Shall conquer in the battle!

Let's each be repentant, and love one another more than ever, not less. Let's "fight the good fight of the faith!"

Under intense attack, God instructs us "Resist the devil and he will flee from you". He tempted Jesus in the wilderness for 40 days - Jesus resisted Him and Satan left Him. We may need to resist intense spiritual attack for a little while yet, but let's not give up - do not let Satan rob you of your crown or diminish it at all! He will leave us when he sees he cannot win.

If you are experiencing spiritual attack - tell a brother or sister who will help you, encourage you and pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment